Friday, March 21, 2014

Introducing Fit Mama Friday!

For over a year, I was a runner. I was not fast, but I was dedicated. I was the healthiest (and happiest) I had ever been in my life. I loved how strong I was becoming -- especially after adding yoga and pilates to my routine -- and what kind of example I was setting for my boys. I was eating healthier, but definitely not dieting. But the weight fell off, almost thirty pounds in four months. I was so proud of myself.
Then, I got injured. I twisted my knee pretty badly and couldn't run for over a month. Then I started school. And Ian started school. And yada, yada, yada. Basically, life (and my excuses) got in the way. So, of course, all the weight I'd lost (and then some) crept back on. Big surprise, right?
Fast forward to now, almost 18 months since getting injured, and I barely recognize myself in the mirror. I am utterly disgusted with myself and how I've mistreated my body for almost 30 years.
That stops TODAY! I am getting healthy once and for all. Not a diet, but a lifestyle. One that I can stick with. One where the goal is not to get skinny, but to get strong and healthy. To be a happier person. Because the old saying really is true, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Because when I'm happy, I can make my family happy.
Thus begins my new journey and I hope by putting this out there for the world to read, I will be able to hold myself more accountable. I know this is not a fitness blog, and I'm certainly no fitness blogger. But I also know that there are a lot of us moms out there who want to be better for ourselves and our families. So I'm going to start a new segment on the blog called "Fit Mama Friday". I will share my fitness wins and losses, and pretty much document my journey to the me I was always meant to be.
I hope Fit Mama Friday will open the door to a real discussion about our struggles as moms to balance our lives. I want it be a place where we can share tips and workouts and recipes.
So let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment