Friday, July 8, 2011

A (forced) Break

I'm going to premise this by saying that the more radical cloth moms are probably not going to like what they're about to read. One of the main reasons most parents choose to cloth diaper is for their children's health. It has become one of mine. But sometimes, disposables are chosen for their health as well. WHAT?! The cloth diaper advocate says that there is a need to use disposable diapers??? Let me explain.
My family lives on pizza and pasta. It's a staple for us. I balance the carbs with loads of veggies and whole wheat pasta and dough. And I love making homemade pizzas and pasta sauce and seeing how many different ways I can be creative with it.  It's cheap and my husband and kiddos love it, so, at least three to four times a week it's my "go to". It also usually means that at least three or four times a week we are eating tomatoes. Well, last week, Evan's body decided to have a reaction. His little heiny was blistered. The normal regiment of using cloth-safe ointments was not working, so I had to break out the Balmex. And because I didn't want to ruin my cloth diapers, I broke into the stash of disposables I had purchased for my husband to use when I go to Florida next week (that's a whole other post in itself). It took four days and a whole pack of disposables for the rash to clear up. So, while I hated the thought of him wearing disposables and throwing money away, it was necessary. And I would do it again in a heart beat. Because, while I am a 100% cloth supporter, I understand that sometimes there is a place for disposables. And for my son's health, this was one of those instances.

No comments:

Post a Comment